Re: [css2.1] what happens to anonymous boxes after events?

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:37:58 -0500
To: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> ... did I miss something or is this undefined? Should CSS2.1 define this?

I think it's pretty clear that we want to avoid hysteresis in our
rendering (that is, the rendering of a particular DOM with particular
styles applied must be independent of the path taken to get to that DOM
and those styles). This may indeed be worth stating as a basic principle
of CSS, but I thought the formulation of the specification already made
that clear: when the rules applied to the DOM change or the DOM changes,
the CSS processing model should be run through again and new results
computed, since CSS assumes a given set of rules that apply and a given DOM.

Given that, I feel that anything other than just completely rebuilding
the rendering of the page from scratch is just a UA optimization that
should have the same effect as said full rebuild would have.

-Boris