Re: Dynamic pseudo class cascade

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:08:30 -0500
To: Staffan Måhlén <staffan.mahlen@comhem.se>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Staffan Måhlén wrote:
> If an UA wanted to create a default style like:
> a:focus {background-color: blue; color: white}
> and then the author writes the style rule:
> a {color: blue}
> things wont cascade very well. If the UA tries to avoid the problem
> by using non-CSS features, the author cannot override them.

I'm not sure why you think this is specific to dynamic pseudo-classes...
  If the UA wanted to create a default style like:

h1 > :link, h1 > :visited { background-color: blue; color: white }

(to highlight links in headings for some reason) and then the author
writes the style rule:

a { color: blue }

Then for HTML documents links in <h1> will be blue on blue.

The real problem here, of course, is not the cascade but that the author
broke the #1 rule of writing style sheets and specified a color without
specifying a background.

-Boris