Re: XPath & CSS, again

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:21:13 +0200
To: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Hi Mark,

Mark Birbeck wrote:
> The blog argues for turning CSS into something more akin to a framework,
> with each part of the framework able to move independently of the others.
> (...)
> The processing model could be generic, and I discuss in the blog that there
> is a clear relationship with other 'dynamic infoset' models such as the
> XForms dependency engine.
>
> But the main point of relevance to this discussion is that by breaking CSS
> up in this way, CSS styling properties could be used independently of the
> addressing model, and CSS selectors would just be one addressing mechanism
> amongst many -- enabling those who wanted to, to use XPath.

Have you looked at the draft charter for the renewal of the CSS WG[0]?
It has similar words while not going quite as far. I think you might
want to take a look at it and provide specific comments along those
lines (as AC rep and/or implementer). Anything that fosters greater
integration instead of unhelpful differences and ancient quibbles is
imho headed in the right direction.

[0]http://www.w3.org/Style/2004/css-charter.html
--
Robin Berjon