Re: Targeting CSS3 only (evil?), either with pseudoclass or an extra syntax for properties.

From: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:03:14 -0400
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, www-style@w3.org

On Apr 10, 2005 4:28 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Orion Adrian wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to understand _why_ we're sticking to this system.
>
> Because no backwards-compatible improvement has been found that doesn't
> have worse problems than the existing situation, mostly.
>

> > The structures we're working on do not behave this way. They are not
> > single property structures, but rather multi-property structures. For
> > example color/background color should always be set together, but
> > inherit seperatly and are set seperately.
>
> There are cases where you only want to set one. That's part of the
> problem.

Can you tell me when you would only want to set one. I can imagine
wanting to set one two a new color and another to inherit. But there's
a subtle difference there. It seems to me that you always want to set
both, but sometimes you want to only override one. I can't imagine
setting border-width by itself initially - it just doesn't make sense.
It however is useful to replace only a single value.

Orion