Re: Style confirmation descriptors

From: Barry <wassercrats@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 12:00:56 -0400
To: "Laurens Holst" <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>, <www-style@w3.org>

Laurens Holst wrote:
> Anti-aliasing is a technique that serves the purpose to reduce the (ugly)
> visibility of jagged edges caused by the squareness of pixels. It doesn’t
> make lines wider, nor narrower, when applied correctly (at least to the
> human eye). A 1-pixel arched line can be anti-aliased quite well.
> Especially with sub-pixel anti aliasing.

One thing I'd avoid making the default is any anti-aliasing that results in
the border needing more room. I'd allow anti-aliasing pixels to be in the
rounded corners because that wouldn't require the box to have greater width
or height or the content to have a smaller margin (except at the rounded
corner), but I wouldn't want an extra, lighter side border to be created to
blend better with a corner's anti-aliasing pixel, unless the author
specifies it.