Re: Parent pseudo-containers - a method for separation of content from design

Orion Adrian wrote:

>Why is there no ability to set a box relative to another box in flow?
>Why can't I tell an arbitrary element to be relative to another
>arbitrary element.

I think one short answer is because it destroys progressive
rendering.  If element A is first in the source, but is set relative
to element Z at the end of the source, you are going to have to parse
all the way down to element Z before you can render A.  Many of the
new proposals in CSS3 are limited in scope expressly to preserve
progressive rendering.

I'm sure the browsers developers in the crowd can give you some other
reasons, as well.

--

-Adam Kuehn