Re: Targeting CSS3 only (evil?), either with pseudoclass or an extra syntax for properties.

From: Jan Brasna <discuss@alphanumeric.cz>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 18:17:14 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org

> There is absolutely no reason to use a conditional comment in order to
> give IE-only CSS.

I use it for serving "CSS" that looks like

* html #logo {
   background: none;
   filter:
progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader(src='img/logo.png',sizingMethod='scale');
}

* html #login-box {
   background: none;
   filter:
progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader(src='img/bg-login.png',sizingMethod='scale');
}

etc. ...

I think this piece of crap should be invisible to all the
standards-aware clients. However, the obsolete IE needs thin in some
layouts, where transparent PNGs are essential.

Nevertheless I definitely agree with all the other statements you wrote.

--
Jan Brasna aka JohnyB :: www.alphanumeric.cz | www.janbrasna.com