WHATWG Attribute puzzle

From: Matthew Raymond <mattraymond@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:36:32 -0400
To: W3C CSS <www-style@w3.org>

    Say you're using one of those new WHATWG values for the |type|
attribute of <input>:

| <input type="date" name="date1">

    How do you style the above markup so that user agents that support
the "date" type will user one presentation, but legacy user agents will
use another presentation? In other words, how would I put a green border
around the date control I'd see in a Web Forms 2.0 compliant browser,
but show a red border around the text box created in browsers that don't
support it?

    I'm pretty sure the following does *not* work:

| input { border-width: 2px; border-color: blue; }
| input[type=text] { border-color: red; }
| input[type=date] { border-color: green; }

    Person who solves this gets the proverbial cookie.