Re: Wrapping paragraphs around blocks

I'd say wrapping p's lists tables and headings in a div is THE semantic way
to describe a chapter (or section)

nothing semantically incorrect about that. p is meant for text only. Note
that "paragraph" in this case is not a portion of a chapter (section) but a
block of text. In english language paragraph can be both, for dutch readers
(Bert, Laurens I guess): p is an "alinea", div is a "paragraaf".

The HTML 4 spec is a bit fuzzy about div, but in the HTML 3 spec it says "
DIV elements can be used to structure HTML documents as a hierarchy of
divisions. "

Note the word "hierarchy". The following is a nice example I guess:
  <h1>
  <ul>
    <h2>
See the structure? I recently wrote something about this:
http://www.rikkertkoppes.com/thoughts/about-div. Bottom line: div is not as
meaningless as one might think. Use it to make up chapters and subchapters

Rikkert Koppes