Re: Wrapping paragraphs around blocks

Laurens Holst wrote:

> How long do you think it would take for CSS being actually implemented in
> browsers? I’d say it would take equally long. Semantically incorrect HTML
> is a direct solution. New CSS is a future solution, just like XHTML2.

With the technique that I tried describing--using the floated spacer above
the inset-block--I could get what I want semantically, and get good enough
results, in my case, stylistically, so I have my temporary solution. There
should be a CSS fix in the future because of the extra work this temporary
solution requires, and because if I had a right border and little or no
padding, the misalignment of the paragraphs would be more apparent.

Kelly Miller made a timely suggestion in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2005Apr/0001.html :

"CSS needs a value for positioning that allows a page author to position
an element like in absolute or fixed, but unlike them, the program
displaying the page should treat it as if it were in the flow at the
position where it was moved to."

Such a feature might allow me to eliminate the spacer technique. Earlier in
this thread, at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2005Mar/0128.html , I
mentioned that I tried the position property to create a space above my list
that paragraph text goes into:

"I'm still not sure if position should work, but I know it doesn't."