Re: More controlled degrading, @supported at-rule

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 10:12:08 +0100 (BST)
To: www-style@w3.org

> One doesn't have to add a way to detect vendor-specific properties. Just use
> them. When they are recognized, they override any previously declared rules
> (where applicable). When they are not recognized, they are ignored and the
> previously declared rules are used.

The reason that people keep proposing this sort of feature (my preference
is for an all or nothing block) is that even quite simple designs can depend
on multiple features being supported, whereas the cascading rules only
allow you to provide fallback on a per feature basis.

Incidentally, on colours, the browser may not know the colour capabilities
of the display system, e.g. whether a printer is actually capable of colour.