More controlled degrading, @supported at-rule

From: Benjamin D. Smedberg <bsmedberg@covad.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 17:20:41 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

In the past, CSS has relied on properties degrading gracefully in older
browser which didn't support certain features, and this has worked
remarkably well. However, when you start combining multiple properties
to do complex layout, or use some of the advanced features of CSS3 such
as opacity and columns, it may be that CSS does not degrade nearly so
gracefully. I would like to propose an simple extension to CSS that
allows CSS authors to detect UA support for properties and property values:

http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/bsmedberg/css-supported.html

Critique me, please, and also suggest whether this should be part of any
CSS spec (even perhaps the core CSS3 syntax spec?).

I have done basic testing, and this rule seems to degrade gracefully (be
completely ignored) in IE and Gecko-based browsers.

--BDS