Re: Problem with 'target-new' property and alternative suggestion

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:10:55 +0200
To: daniel.pelsmaeker@zonnet.nl
CC: www-style@w3.org

>>> By the way, isn't target-new very element specific? It is really
>>> only used for A elements, for (X)HTML pages, while almost all
>>> other (CSS2) properties apply to any element, even on XML pages.
>>
>> Ever heard of XLink, XHTML 2.0, HLink and possible other languages
>> that define a general way of linking from each element?
>
> Yes, I have. But I can use the rest of the CSS properties on any
> element in any XML/SGML compatible document. The target-new property
> can only be used when the UA supports the associated technologies (or
> reads the DTD or whatever).

UAs will probably never read DTDs (too large, too complex and it
wouldn't help a thing).

I guess you mean 'target-new' (and releated properties) can only be used
when the element matches the ':link' or ':visited' pseudo-class? (Like
AREA, LINK and A do in HTML 4.01.)

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>