Re: Problem with 'target-new' property and alternative suggestion

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:47:27 +0200
To: daniel.pelsmaeker@zonnet.nl
CC: www-style@w3.org, "'Justin Wood \(Callek\)'" <116057@bacon.qcc.mass.edu>

> The new CSS property target-new doesn't add anything. The website creator
> only gets more options on how and where the result is displayed, but
> currently I can achieve getting my webpage in a new window just by using
> target="_blank" instead of { target: window; }.

The CSS property add a possibility for UAs to implement
|target="_blank"| with CSS which gives the possibility for User Style
Sheets to overwrite this default of

  :link[target="_blank"],:visited[target="_blank"]{
   target: window
  }

> By the way, isn't target-new very element specific? It is really only used
> for A elements, for (X)HTML pages, while almost all other (CSS2) properties
> apply to any element, even on XML pages.

Ever heard of XLink, XHTML 2.0, HLink and possible other languages that
define a general way of linking from each element?

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>