Re: Problem with 'target-new' property and alternative suggestion

From: Brian Sexton <discussion-w3c@ididnotoptin.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:09:18 -0700
To: "Benjamin D. Smedberg" <bsmedberg@covad.net>, "Anne van Kesteren" <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>

>> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> That information is already available from the link itself and therefore
> does not have to be presented (again) in an additional attribute.

I agree; whether a link leads to the same server or a different one is
already determined when a URI is parsed by whatever function or method a
client uses to respond to a click on a link.

> Benjamin D. Smedberg wrote:
> A browser cannot know whether gmail.google.com and google.com are
> "external" to each other, and they are on the same domain.

That is an interesting point--the use of multiple subdomains for what
appears to be a single Web site is not uncommon--but a browser could tell
that those both belong to the same domain, so options that make use of that
information (e.g. Consider Subdomains to Be the Same Site) could be added
pretty easily.  Even so, there might be some security considerations with
that sort of thing.  However, there might be something to providing a way
for separate subdomains to mutually declare each other to be considered part
of the same Web site via CSS.