RE: Problem with 'target-new' property and alternative suggestion

From: DaniŽl Pelsmaeker <daniel.pelsmaeker@zonnet.nl>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:12:51 +0200
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Cc: "'Benjamin D. Smedberg'" <bsmedberg@covad.net>

Benjamin D. Smedberg wrote:
> CSS selectors could even be part of the UA stylesheet to implement these
> "rel" values.

Actually, that's my biggest point against the target-new property: the
example provided with the description of this property shows how this
property can be used to override the effect in a CSS stylesheet of a
website. I think that most users don't want the website to specify where and
if any links are targeted in new windows/'tabs'. Not all websites have
friendly uses for these (target-...) rules.
Further, a stylesheet is for styling, and the targets of links (frames,
windows, tabs) should be specified with the link and not by using a style
class and selectors. These are properties that are specific for each link,
and they would (and should) never be changed when the website's style(sheet)
changes. I can't imagine a website builder who would ever want to change the
target-new property for the links that he wrote in his website. To make the
website work without a stylesheet (or with another stylesheet, or on a
text/speech browser) the builder would just use these target-... properties
in the style attribute of each link. And IMO that's now very stylish.

- DaniŽl Pelsmaeker