Re: Problem with 'target-new' property and alternative suggestion

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:21:02 +0200
To: daniel.pelsmaeker@zonnet.nl
CC: www-style@w3.org

> I completely agree with this post, Sam Kearns' and Bill Talcott's posts.
> rel="external" tells the browser the function of the link, and is a much
> better way than forcing the browser to create a new form or tab.

|rel="external"| has been defined in exactly zero places. It is not
included normatively in any specification. Browsers don't have to know
"the function of the link". I'm not sure where you got the idea that
having this link-type value is a great idea, but I don't see any of the
value having it.

'target-new' however is an accessible replacement for |target="blank"|.
(Actually, it does not replace it, it described it.) It can be
overwritten by user style sheet or UA pref and it finally gives us the
option to open things in new tabs.

External links, I guess you mean that with |rel="external"| can already
be selected using CSS so no markup is needed. (Such things are already
in the markup and therefore it makes no sense to describe it again.)

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>