[css3-color] RGBA Hex Notation

From: Adam Kuehn <akuehn@nc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:39:00 -0400
To: "W. Leon Sutton, Jr." <wsuttonjr@hyponiqs.com>, www-style@w3.org

W. Leon Sutton, Jr. wrote:

>Yes, the RGB-A color format would be a great addition.  There are many uses
>for such that I can think of.

Let's be clear that rgba color *format* is already in the CSS 3 Color
Module CR draft.  The current draft includes rgba (xxx, xxx, xxx,
<alpha>) and rgba (xxx%,xxx%, xxx%, <alpha>) as the only two
available notational forms to express that color format.  My
suggestion is to add a hex notation form to those already proposed.
E.g. color: #xxx<alpha> and color: #xxxxxx<alpha> - either with or
without a delimiter before the <alpha> portion.  The reason for the
suggestion is to preserve the most common color notation format
presently in use in CSS when used for alpha colors.  In my view, it
is worth the effort to make the use of the property as easy for
current and future authors as possible.
--

-Adam Kuehn