Re: Overlays in HTML4 and XHTML

Ian Hickson wrote:

>On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Daniel Glazman wrote:
>

>>So I did it. It's still experimental, and all issues are not resolved,
>>in particular wrt accessibility, but I am glad to offer a simple way of
>>using Overlays in HTML 4, working fine in Internet Explorer and
>>Gecko-based browsers. It's reported that Opera chokes on it, but with
>>the excellent work Håkon's team is doing on Opera these days, I'm sure
>>it can be fixed on our side.
>>
>>http://glazman.org/weblog/dotclear/index.php?2004/08/30/529-end-of-teasing
>>

>Looks like a variant on XBL. :-)

XBL requires namespace (therefore XML capable) UA's to work, where-as
this one merely needs JS and the all-possible extension mechanism
allowed with <link ...>

As well this does not bring with it the complications in XBL, such as
DOM methods, etc.

 From my understanding its meant as a quick and easy addition to HTML,
rather than a largely superior feature-rich extension to (as currently
stands) SVG.

~Justin Wood (Callek)