Re: Overlays in HTML4 and XHTML

From: Justin Wood <jw6057@bacon.qcc.mass.edu>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 23:07:16 -0400
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, W3C Style List <www-style@w3.org>

Ian Hickson wrote:

>On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Daniel Glazman wrote:
>>So I did it. It's still experimental, and all issues are not resolved,
>>in particular wrt accessibility, but I am glad to offer a simple way of
>>using Overlays in HTML 4, working fine in Internet Explorer and
>>Gecko-based browsers. It's reported that Opera chokes on it, but with
>>the excellent work Håkon's team is doing on Opera these days, I'm sure
>>it can be fixed on our side.
>Looks like a variant on XBL. :-)
XBL requires namespace (therefore XML capable) UA's to work, where-as
this one merely needs JS and the all-possible extension mechanism
allowed with <link ...>

As well this does not bring with it the complications in XBL, such as
DOM methods, etc.

 From my understanding its meant as a quick and easy addition to HTML,
rather than a largely superior feature-rich extension to (as currently
stands) SVG.

~Justin Wood (Callek)