Re: Revising text wrapping, line breaking, and white space properties in CSS3 (CSS3 Text: 6 and 7)

Richard Ishida wrote:
> Your suggestion certainly makes it much easier to understand and use
> this
>
 > currently complex set of properties.  I think it probably covers
 > most of the necessary possibilities, though I'd definitely like to
 > hear Michel Suignard's point of view, since he worked very hard on
 > this stuff.
>
> (I think it will make things clearer to use the explanations I tried
> in
>
 > my previous mail.)

Yes, I agree with that.

> Seems like one thing that is not available is to not collapse the
> consecutive
>
 > white-space-without-linebreaks independently of consecutive
 > ws-with-linebreaks. I'm not sure that's an i18n issue, however.  It
 > occurred to me that it may be useful for a script like Thai, where
 > spaces are used to indicate phrase boundaries (rather than words) -
 > ie. not full stops.  In some cases multiple spaces indicate more
 > important boundaries.  This could probably be achieved by using a
 > combination of nbsp and space though.

One question I had wrt Thai and similar - would it be important to have
 a white-space-with-breaks collapsing value that preserved trailing
 white space before the first line break in the sequence?

> There may be an issue for people who want to preserve tabs while
> collapsing
>
 > consecutive ws-with-linebreaks ?

Markup-based tabs are being discussed separately in the working group.
I don't think white-space should cater to the use of tabs other than
a generic "preserve everything".

> I don't understand why you list multiple ways of declaring the same
thing, eg:
>>      white-space-sth: collapse;
>>      white-space-sth: collapse auto-collapse-breaks;
>>      white-space-sth: auto-collapse-breaks collapse;
>>      white-space-sth: auto-cllapse-breaks;
>
> I think this is not a good idea, and would rather just see:
>>      white-space-sth: auto-cllapse-breaks;

Depends on what combinations we want to see. If, for example,

   white-space-sth: preserve auto-collapse-breaks;

is a useful combination (e.g. for your multiple-spaces example above),
then allowing the two keywords is better.

> PS:
> I started putting together some tests for white space treatment with
> ideographic characters using CSS2.1. When I get a moment I'll expand
> them to include thai and
>
 > kana characters. They are currently based on CSS2.1 rules +
 > assumptions drawn from the CSS3 work.
>
> Tests:
>  http://www.w3.org/International/tests/sec-white-space-1
>  http://www.w3.org/International/tests/sec-white-space-2
> Preliminary results and conclusions can be found at
>  http://www.w3.org/International/tests/results/white-space-ideograph

These are great, thank you so much!

> One specific question I have: should I make assumptions in the tests
> themselves.
>
 > ie. one of the tests currently says: "Displayed text should be a
 > single line with no spaces after the character ?."  An alternative
 > approach, especially given that we are making some assumptions here
 > because the CSS2.1 spec is not very specific, is to just say "Is
 > there a single line? Is there a space before the character ?." The
 > end results page would be the same, since we express our assumptions
 > there.

I'll defer to Ian Hickson on this one. :)

~fantasai

--
http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/contact