Re: Multiple Background Images

From: Ted Shaneyfelt <tvs@hawaii.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 08:23:57 -1000
To: www-style@w3.org

>     body {background: url(bg.svg), url(bg.png), url(bg.gif) 0 0 repeat;}
>     I'll grant you that the cases are not totally analogous, since
> font are an all-or-nothing deal whereas backgrounds could be layered
> together, but I still think they should behave as similarly as
> possible.
"Similarly as possible" would be exactly the same, i.e. bg.svg would
be displayed if it exists, otherwise the others are ignored.
That might be a good thing, because the bg.svg could have
multiple images overlayed in any way you want.

Here's downside:
1. I don't know off hand how you could get
DOM to interact with the image list if it were
within another SVG file, unless SVG could take
parameters (perhaps supplied as a suffix to the
url)

2. I don't know off hand how you could
get XSLT to do the same thing, unless that
problem were solved in a similar manner.

Perhaps the best thing to do here is move
this functionality to SVG and provide a means
of passing parameters to the SVG file like
fragment identifiers, etc.

_-Ted Shaneyfelt