Re: "active" CSS

From: Brian Sexton <discussion-w3c@ididnotoptin.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 21:31:13 -0700
To: "Justin Wood (Callek)" <116057@bacon.qcc.mass.edu>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>

> In my opinion, do not try to cross-contaminate the uses of each area,
> leave "Behavior" to scripting, leave Markup to HTML/xhtml and leave Style
> to CSS ;-)

Generally, that seems prudent, although it is not always feasible.  In this
case, scripting may be the best way to go, but in some cases it is not.  For
example, link-targeting, which seems more structural than presentational,
has had to be added to CSS 3 for Strict DTD pages because it was expunged
from the strict HTML and XHTML specifications and scripting is not a
reliable way to target links because users may simply disable scripting
completely--something they are unlikely to do to CSS.  Of course, CSS 3 will
not be an especially reliable way to target links for some time either, but
it should happen eventually.