Re: Box model: min-margin and max-margin, max-padding and min-padding

From: Mikko Rantalainen <mikko.rantalainen@peda.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 10:49:27 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Andrew Thompson wrote:
>
>>---------------------
>>| (1) Header        |
>>---------------------
>>| (2) Content | (3) |
>>|             |  S  |
>>|             |  i  |
>>|             |  d  |
>>|             |  e  |
>>---------------------
>>
>>Insofar as I can tell, there's NO ideal way to do this in CSS.
>
> Make (1) display: table-row, and (2) and (3) display: table-cell, with the
> element containing all three (possibly the <body>) display: table with
> width: 100%.

That only works if the sidebar is on the right side. If the sidebar is
after content in the source and one wants to have layout where the
sidebar is on the left side, that doesn't work. Plus the little real
world thing that "display: table*" isn't supported by the browser that
has majority of the market.

--
Mikko