Re: Multiple Background Images

From: Staffan Mhln <staffan.mahlen@comhem.se>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:17:31 +0100
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

On 30 Nov 2004 at 14:18, fantasai wrote:

<snip/>

> The WG decided at the last F2F that multiple backgrounds are important
> enough that they should be in CSS3, but we also have been trying to simplify
> the backgrounds and borders modules from their previous drafts. One advantage
> of comma-separated values is that it adds a minimal change to the syntax
> of a few background properties' values. It also fits perfectly well with
> the current cascading mechanism, requiring no changes to that module --
> the interaction of layers is handled in the computation stage, after the
> cascade is finished. I cannot say the same of the indexed-property method.

I wouldn't worry that much about the syntax, the models tend to be the most
troublesome parts in CSS even though there still are outstanding syntax issues on CSS
2.1 i believe.

Just to clarify your point above, how does the following cascade:

default style:
body {background-image: url(img1), url(img2); background-repeat: repeat-x, repeat-y}

author style:
body {background-repeat: no-repeat}

 /Staffan