Re: Multiple Background Images

From: Ben Ward <benmward@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:36:53 +0000
To: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org

> Perhaps it's time to think of a generic mechanism for this kind of
> behavior because any solution you create now will be a template for
> future solutions to this same kind of problem.

As much as I do feel that the combination of ideas I've attempted to
formalise previously is a good solution, and as much as I like the
idea of multiple backgrounds, I think the above comment hits a nail on
the head.
As much as the current proposal of comma-separation is flawed for
contradicting the operation of existing font-family syntax, I agree
completely that thought on 'array based' properties such as this
should be more generalised. Hacking something together specific to
image that wouldn't work for anything else would be a disasater. I'm
very much sold on this point.

-- Would this syntax, for instance, work for a "multiple-border"
syntax in the same way (which may well be covered by the ::outer
pseudo-element, but for sake of example)?

Thanks Adrian, you've opened up my overexcited mind ;-)

Ben