Re: [CSS21] Contradiction in the spec with auto-offset fixed-position elements

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> I'm not sure that's sufficient...  consider the following marginally
> more complicated testcase:
>
> <root>
>   <scrollable style="overflow: scroll">
>     Long content
>     <fixed style="position: fixed">Text</fixed>
>   </scrollable>
> <root>
>
> Now scrolling the <scrollable> will affect the static position of
> <fixed> with respect to the initial containing block, which means it
> should really move when we scroll <scrollable>.  Again, I don't think
> that's intended or desirable.

Maybe we should change it to "For the purposes of calculating the static
position, the containing block of fixed positioned elements is the initial
containing block instead of the viewport, and all scrollable boxes
should be assumed to be scrolled to their origin." or some such?