Re: inline-block positioning

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 18:10:59 -0800
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>

Thanks a lot, Boris.

IE does support inline-block but only for "naturally" inline elements like
span, strong, em, etc. It shows completely different picture for
display:inline
Opera also interprets inline-blocks. But (my guess) it has vertical
alignment problems.

Here are screenshots:
http://www.terrainformatica.com/w3/inline-block.gif

Question still remains: what is better?

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://www.terrainformatica.com

| Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
| > It seems that I am not alone as
| > IE (6.0), Gecko (Firefox 1.0pr) and Opera(7.54) show (on Windows)
completely
| > different layout on this simple test:
| > http://www.terrainformatica.com/w3/inline-block.htm
|
| Gecko has no inline-block support.  Last I checked, neither does IE/Win
6.0.
| What you're seeing in IE is that it applies the "width" property to
elements
| with display: inline.
|
| To test this properly, you should set "display: inline-block" on both
elements
| that have "display: inline" in the UA stylesheet and those that have
"display:
| block" and verify that the renderings are the same.  If they're not, the
UA is