Re: auto units versus 'auto' value

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 17:57:45 -0700
To: "Krzysztof Maczynski" <chris___m@hotmail.com>, <www-style@w3.org>

Hi, Chris,

Arbitrary property having %% value calculates using:

pixels = free-space-pixels * value%% / max(100, total%%)

This rule covers your if* cases I guess.

If you want your %% behave as percents use total sum in range 1..99;
If you want to have only 'weights' use total sum > 100 by using values
100...INF(inity) ;

"it seems reasonable to cause overflow"

I don't think that this is feasible at all. If we will add e.g. 'intrinsic'
value then overflow will cause recursion in  computations.  Same problem
exists with old plain percents.
Example:

To compute intrinsic value of the container you shall compute first width of
its content.

BTW: This is a fundamental problem of 'intrinsic' value and percent units.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com