Re: Rendering order without positioning

From: Orion Adrian <oadrian@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 22:22:12 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

>>>The property would change the rendering order for the flow within
>>>a given containing block.
>>Why to limit to just containing block? If I had markup like
>>
>>[snip]
>>
>>And I want to display c2 as the last element of a, why I shouldn't be
>>allowed to do that with this reordering mechanism?
>
>It sounds like you're both looking for 'client-side XSLT' (or possibly
>XSL:FO, as someone else suggested).
>
>What problem, exactly, is this trying to solve? And why is something that
>looks essentially like it's operating at the DOM level a suitable task for
>CSS?

Several problems (I have a list). For some of them, I've even posted
proposed solutions. Though I seem to be having trouble getting even
criticism for them (See
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2004May/0437.html and
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2004May/0074.html).

What I'm looking for is the ability to have both vertical and lateral
positioning within a container. I find relative positioning virtually
useless. Absolute positioning doesn't cut it either and there's a simple
solution to my problems (rather than rehash, I just point you to the posts
[first listed is most recent]).

Orion Adrian