Re: Rendering order without positioning

From: Malcolm Rowe <malcolm-www-style@farside.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 18:10:10 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

Mikko Rantalainen writes:
>> The property would change the rendering order for the flow within
>> a given containing block.
> Why to limit to just containing block? If I had markup like
>
> [snip]
>
> And I want to display c2 as the last element of a, why I shouldn't be
> allowed to do that with this reordering mechanism?

It sounds like you're both looking for 'client-side XSLT' (or possibly
XSL:FO, as someone else suggested).

What problem, exactly, is this trying to solve? And why is something that
looks essentially like it's operating at the DOM level a suitable task for
CSS?

Not to be obtuse, but I just don't see an obvious use case here.

Regards,
Malcolm