auto units versus 'auto' value, was Re: vertical-align

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 22:36:43 -0700
To: "Anne van Kesteren (fora)" <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Cc: "W3C Style List" <www-style@w3.org>

> > Logicaly %% are applicable to entities already having 'auto' (free
> > space) concept. I can see that it could be applied to line-height.
> > But font-size? Possible, but has no physical meaning. font-size:120%
> > is not a percentage from container dimension, so %% have no meaning
> > here.
>
> And that is exactly why your proposal doesn't make sense ;-)

Set of allowed values for 'font-size' attribute
and e.g. for 'width' attribute are already not equal.

Following your logic 'auto' value should be considered as wrong because it
cannot be applied to
font-size.

Anne, sorry, but I cannot understand your logic here.

Just consider 'auto' not as only value but as a units name.
These 'auto' units has not only 'auto' (100%%) value but also 80auto (80%%),
etc.

Just imagine that instead of

<length>  Specifies a fixed width. ....
auto         See the section .....

you will see

<length>  Specifies a fixed width. ....
<auto>     See the section describing auto units.....

Is this not clear?

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com