Re: Question on parsing of "font" property

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 09:14:13 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Ian Hickson wrote:
> Specifically, it is equivalent to:
>
>    font-size: 10px;
>    line-height: 2;
>    font-family: Times;

It's not clear to me why this is true.  Does the spec say that anywhere clearly?

It seems that you're saying that as soon as a production matches the token
stream the parser should go with it, unless something later makes it invalid?

Note that the whitespace issue is a non-issue here, as you pointed out; I should
have researched a bit more and not included it at all.  The processing of the
token stream is the only question.

> Similarly, all of:
>
>    font: medium A  B;

In this case, and the other two you cite, there is a unique interpretation of
the token stream that leads to this being valid CSS...

-Boris