Re: Colour gradient backgrounds.

Ernest Cline wrote:

> [...]

   Yes, but would the extra complication of adding such properties to
CSS be worth it for UAs that can support SVG, considering that it
*shouldn't* be a big loss if a solid colour, or even a fallback image
was presented, rather than a gradient in UAs that don't support SVG?

   I'm all for adding new types of colour properties and values to CSS,
but not at the expense of crossing *too far* into the realm of images.
For example, I have been thinking about for a while, but not yet
proposed, adding properties to do bitwise (NOT, OR, XOR and AND)
operations between colours and backgrounds which wouldn't use up much
processing power at all, but haven't had time to write up a full
proposal.  Maybe later this week I'll get around to it.

> There is also a minor problem, in that 'color' would have multiple
> shortcut properties ('font' and 'foreground') that would reference it,
> a difficulty that so far has only affected border properties.

   The 'font' shorthand property doesn't reference 'color' in any
version of CSS, and AFAIK, there is no shorthand property that currently
references 'color'.

PS. This isn't really related to this thread, but I noticed that, in
CSS3, 'font' no longer has 'inherit' in the list of values, whereas it
did in CSS2 and 2.1.  Was that intentional, or was it just missed?

--
Lachlan Hunt