CSS3 UI "icon" property

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:35:20 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org

The "icon" property in CSS3 UI seems to not define the behavior when none of the
icons in the list can be rendered by the user-agent. It would seem that defining
this case is necessary to ensure interoperable implementation (read that as "I
don't know what to implement, if I were to try to make this work").

Also, it is not clear what the use of the "auto" value is, since the icon that
will be shown is completely arbitrary.  I fear that whatever icon the first UA
to market randomly picks for this others will need to follow, creating a
needless de-facto standard.

If there is a reason for having this value, there probably needs to be some
description of what the default icon should designate on a conceptual level (eg
warning icon, error icon, meaningless abstract-art icon, whatever).

-Boris