Re: CSS Textures

Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> Ernest Cline wrote:
> > The problem is that any useful texture proposal would be no easier than
> > using images from either the POV of the user or the computer and would
> > add nothing that images don't already add. So there is no reason to
> > add textures to CSS.  Textures are already there as a use case of
images.

>    True, but it would be nice to be able to add some kind of texture to
> text (whether it be a gradient, pattern or image), rather than just
> backgrounds.

Well as you may have noticed, I don't consider a simple gradient to be
a texture, as I have proposed adding very simple linear gradients to CSS
earlier in this thread.  I'm not particularly opposed to rectangular
gradients,
if they can be specified in a manner that does not complicate the
specification of linear gradients too much, but I'm not in favor of even a
slight complication of the syntax that would be needed for a linear gradient
in order to accommodate rectangular gradients, especially since
rectangular gradients will not be useful is some circumstances such as
borders with rounded corners  But anything that would be more generic
should just be handled by images.