Re: CSS: %% length unit. Proposal. Some clarifications.

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 13:50:58 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
On Tuesday 2004-05-11 13:12 -0700, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
> first:
>    compute everything as %% does not exist at all.
>    apply all paragraph wrapping rules as usual.
> second:
>    compute free space for each line box which we've got on first step.
>    compute all elements which have %% according to free space.
>    replace elements in line boxes.

This means that, while it's a value for the 'width' property, it's not
actually describing the width, but rather a factor to be added to an
'auto' width.  That seems confusing, and might lead authors to expect
that of 'width' in other cases as well (as some buggy browsers already
do, especially for 'height').

-David