Re: Colour gradient backgrounds.

Max Romantschuk wrote:

> If a gradient property were introduced I feel it would be logical to do
> one of two things:
>
> 1. Make it a background-* property, background-gradient for example.
> 2. Implement gradients in the color module (altough this would cause
> problems in mixing in positioning traits in the color module.)
>

> I still feel that gradients don't really belong in CSS though. PNG is
> fine for vertical and horizontal gradients, and SVG will do the rest.
> CSS based gradients might make things easier in some ways, but would
> they really promote usability and acessibility? Gradient use in general
> are seldom showcases of stellar design.

I've been listening in on this thread for a while, I think if gradients
were implemented in CSS that they shouldn't be restricted to the
background color, but be applicable to anywhere a color property can be
applied, suchas in borders and text too. As it stands such effects
aren't possible but could offer some very cool design possibilities. I'd
like to see more flexibility with the color property.. such as:

gradient([[<color>{1,}] <effect>])

Whereas grandient would be a color type itself and be a value of any
property taking a color value.

color: gradient(black white ltr);

A little OT, but in the same neighborhood.. this would be a cool
possibility too:
color: url(picture.jpg);

Whereas an image could be applied to a paragraph of text, or border
(although I am aware of the new border image properties in the CSS3
border draft). Such a thing would just allow an image to be repeated
across the entire target element. Then one could further complicate the
idea with all the bells and whistles that the background property
supports... image positioning, repeat|no-repeat, etc.

I don't quite see the argument for gradients not belonging in CSS, you
could argue the same thing about opacity, just use PNG instead. I think
gradients open up design possibilities, and I thought that's what CSS
was all about! Personally I like any idea that eliminates all the fuss
of dealing with images.

Regards,
Richard York

--