Re: Colour gradient backgrounds.

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 10:57:11 -0700
To: "Max Romantschuk" <max@provico.fi>, <www-style@w3.org>

> Robin Berjon wrote:
> > Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
> >
> >> background-color:
> >> gradient(colorTopLeft,colorTopRight,colorBottomLeft,colorBottomRight)
> >
> > That's still not very generic. A good way to do that would be to simply
> > use SVG. It'll do the job very well.
>
> I agree. Introducing this into CSS would create unnecessary
> redundancies. CSS should allow for styling, but actual graphical
> elements (like a non-solid colored background) is best kept in images.

I agree too. If we will implement non-solid colored background with
*stretch*
[e.g. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2004May/0009.html]
this will cover gradient cases.

Only one: gradient is easy to implement and being implemented it is and will
be popular.
But images for gradient fill are not so good to be compressed effectively.

As you might know IE has gradient feature already.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com