Re: CSS: %% length unit. Proposal.

Ian Hickson wrote:
> It doesn't matter, they are not interdependant.

Exactly. Furthermore, even if one used calc to calculate boxes which
would overlap the right thing to do is to keep the flow as it is. The
layout will break and the author will notice and hopefully correct his
mistake.

%% units would introduce interdependencies of elements in a way which
would be difficult to handle. I believe calc would provide enough
flexibility for even demanding authors.

As has been pointed out in this thread before, table layout is not tied
to the <table> tag. Fixing things missing in IE by introducing new
properties should not be a goal of CSS design. Experience tells me that
Microsoft won't improve support until the competition makes them. If we
wish to affect that we should spend out time making people switch to
Mozilla Firefox or a comparable browser.

--
Max Romantschuk
http://max.nma.fi/