Re: CSS: %% length unit. Proposal. Some clarifications.

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 21:54:08 -0700
To: <ernestcline@mindspring.com>, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>

> > %% units should be allowed ONLY in margin and width/height
> > CSS attributes for boxes having 'normal' flow.
> > Not in absolute nor relative nor fixed positioning mode.
>
> Then I absolutely, categorically am against %%.  Both from the
> standpoint of human usability and computer usability, any unit
> that can be applied to <length> should be able to be applied to
> any instance of <length> no matter where or how it is used,

This "should be" was my suggestion/hypothesis. I am just not sure about
other attributes.
If somebody will find them usefull in other places like padding (probably
yes), border (possible but probably no) and font-size (?) then why not?

> .... because of an idea whose benefits
> appear to be achievable with the existing CSS table display
> properties combined with the proposed calc() function.

The main benefit is one: this avoids need to use calc() function and table
display properties :)
Also will minimize non-stable layouts with fixed (top,left,right,bottom) and
absolute positioning.
Sure that %% will reduce use of floating mode a lot. Floating must be used
when it is naturaly needed - it is a bit expensive.

To be short %% allow to keep "natural" layout as much as possible.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com