'offsetWidth/height' function

From: Sean M. Hall <pianoman@reno.com>
Date: 7 May 2004 22:16:36 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org

A common problem with CSS is two column stretching. The navbar should be as long (no more, no less) than the content div. CSS does not yet have a rule for this (see http://www.quirksmode.org/dom/3column.html)

I propose this for CSS(3):

div#navbar {
height: offsetHeight(div#content)px;
width: 25%;
}

The 'px' at the end is optional.

This may not be the best syntax, but CSS does need some sort of a rule so we can keep DHTML Javascript doing what it does best: enhancing usability, not doing something CSS *should* be capable of doing.

By the way, evolt.org is going to publish an article I wrote about CSS3 support in modern browsers sometime in the coming weeks.

Cheers,

Dante