Re: CSS: %% length unit. Proposal.

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 13:24:20 -0700
To: "Joachim Noreiko" <jnoreiko@yahoo.com>, "W3C CSS List" <www-style@w3.org>

Hi, Joachim,

> I find this idea interesting, and potentially useful,
> but I don't think %% is a very intuitive unit.

Indeed. Something like 'fs' (free space) is probably better.

> Instead, I would suggest we add keywords to indicate
> what a percentage calculation relates to, eg:
> %containing, %root, etc. %% might be %free perhaps.

The idea is good keeping in mind that percentage is a binary function and
not just measurement unit.
I mean it has not any sence without clear mentioning of its base.

But I cannot see practical use cases except of %container-content-width and
%container-free-content-width.
Did I miss something? Probably something like %container-left-margin or
%left-margin? Terrific :)

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com