Re: CSS: %% length unit. Proposal.

From: Anne van Kesteren (fora) <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 08:29:22 +0200
To: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

> "Gaping holes" or
> Reasons why not to use formulas in CSS and especially here:
> 1) Nonlinearity. Extremely bad for layout calculations. E.g. what will
> happen if 50% - 100px become negative? Alghoritms will become unstable.

The same as will happen with 'width:-100px', obviously. I believe that
becomes 'width:auto', not entirely sure though.

> 2) Need to have interpreter different from ECMAScript. Need to indroduce
> grammar (one more), complex rules (how to sum px and em), etc.

Why is the complex? A browser already have to calculate every unit into
'px', since that is the where screens are based upon.

> 3) Speed of layout algorithms (formula interpretation).

What do you mean? Do you think it would take time? (How fast does you
calculater work on your computer?)

Personally I think that your prososal is less solid, it is unclear how
it should be used and how an algorithm would work.

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>