RE: @useragent (was Proposal: version at-rule)

From: Sean M. Hall <pianoman@reno.com>
Date: 29 Mar 2004 22:15:50 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org

Another thing I'm noticing is how silly some web standards people are. For example read http://alistapart.com/articles/sprites/ and scroll down to the bottom where it says "HTML lists degrade wonderfully in older browsers". View any of the examples in Netscape 4 and you'll see what I mean. You see only a small part of the image, no lists, and no text. People are assuming that just because you base your cutting-edge CSS on HTML lists and structured markup it's automatically going to degrade in older browsers. Silly, silly silly.

Chris had a point when he talked about "No Hacks" people always getting what they want. Also silly. You're going to need to use hacks sooner or later. I myself have never used one, though I suspect that will change fast.

What to do with browser incompatabilities? I think a solution will present itself in the future. For now though it's a huge mess.

Dante Evans