Re: Proposal: version at-rule

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@tu-clausthal.de>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 16:39:42 +0100
To: <www-style@w3.org>

*Chris Moschini*:

> document.getElementById( 'myDiv' )
>
> was impossible - and so, long, browser-sniffing blocks were necessary,
> using document.all and layers.

Good cross-browser, cross-version scripts don't test for such random things,
but for methods they are really using, like

  if (document.getElementById)
    document.getElementById('myDiv');

Perhaps---although I doubt it---CSS should have such an "if feature", but
certainly not some generic and random switch based upon UA strings or alleged
support for a certain level of CSS.

> What point would there be to an author to write any more than
> the bare minimum into an @useragent block?

Authors are stupid. Can't change that. There is however no need to give them
an axe when they need a knife or just their fingernails.