Re: Proposal: version at-rule

Alan Plum wrote:
> 1. /.../ text/css;version=3.0
/- - -/
> 2. An at-rule statement in the stylesheet
> @version 3.0;
/- - -/
> 3. An at-rule selector in the stylesheet
> @version 3.0 {
>     /* ... */
> }
/.../
> @version "< 3.0" {
>     /* ... */
> }

Well, I would second this proposal, but not for detection reasons.
Rather, for feature/handling triggering. Say you want the sizing
resolution of floats to go with the CSS2.0 instead of the CSS2.1 model,
for instance? You could trigger it by any of these methods. Say you want
  backgrounds to attach according to CSS1 instead of CSS2? You could
trigger it this way. Say you don't want version triggering browsers to
apply a later CSS version selector, but want non-version-trigering
browsers to do so - you could do that. This would put a serious limit on
the CSS parser, though - it needs to know what properties belong with
what version, and whether the handling differs. Suggested mechanisms 1 &
2 would both be parsed as whatever version the browser supports if it
doesn't support the version triggering. Suggested mechanism 3 would hide
the contents from non-version-triggering browsers, thus giving the
possibility of both exlusion and inclusion of properties and rules
depending on the version supported and the support for the version
triggering mechanism.. So, I like it.

--
David "liorean" Andersson

ViewStyles, ViewScripts, SwitchStyles and GraphicsInfo bookmarklets:
<http://liorean.web-graphics.com/>
Hangouts:
<http://codingforums.com/> <http://yourmusicforums.com/>