Re: Proposal: regular expressions (or wildcards) in selectors

From: Alan Plum <alan@cologneweb.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 21:43:35 -0500 (EST)
To: www-style@w3.org
Cc: Felipe Gasper <fgasper@freeshell.org>

Felipe Gasper wrote:
>> Products that support a standard are often not updated to support future
>> versions of that standard.
>>
>> This is actually the typical case in product development.
>>
>> Products which are constantly updated to support every new version of
>> every
>> standard they supported at some point are the exception.
>

> Hmm....IE was updated to support HTML 4, SQL servers updated for SQL99,
> C compilers updated to support ANSI C, RSS readers for new versions of
> that standard .... and if you consider software libraries like Xlib,
> GTK, etc. to be "standards", then software using those libraries becomes
> another example. Am I missing something?

MSIE still doesn't support XHTML correctly at its current version (it
treats XHTML sent with the text/html MIME type as HTML, but doesn't
understand the correct MIME type application/xhtml+xml nor does it
actually run XHTML files through the XML filter - XHTML files which are
not well-formed XML don't throw a parser error nor does it parse the
&apos; entity in XHTML files) and also lacks a lot of support for CSS2.
According to MS the MSIE will cease to exist as a standalone program in
the near future anyway.

Neither Opera nor Mozilla support the entire CSS 2 standard. No browser
that I know of correctly applies the XML MIME RFC, which demands that
any unknown MIME type, registered or not, with the +xml suffix is to be
treated as XML if the browser supports XML (application/x-foo+xml should
be treated as application/xml, same for image/fancyxmlthingy+xml, etc).

Some projects tend to adopt a lot of standards over time (the guys at
Mozilla should be mentioned here), but I know of none that supports
every standard it should support.

- ap