Re: [CSS2.1] Absolute positioning versus inlines and width

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 13:39:22 -0500
To: staffan.mahlen@comhem.se
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

> This seems wise to me, since i believe the above definition might
> yield a negative containing block width.

Worse yet, it requires fully laying out the inline before even attempting to
lay out the positioned element.  The inline generates multiple boxes, and you
have to hold of dealing with the absolutely positioned element until all the
boxes are done... what happens when the inline spans a page break?

Frankly, if none of the current UAs implement what the spec says, I propose
changing the wording to say that the containing block is formed by the first
box the inline generates (that is, from the start of the inline to the first
line break or the end of the inline, whichever comes first).

Boris
--
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in
human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.