Re: Proposal: regular expressions (or wildcards) in selectors

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@tu-clausthal.de>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 01:15:29 +0100
To: "Felipe Gasper" <fgasper@freeshell.org>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>

*Felipe Gasper*:

> Actually, speaking of, does anyone know exactly what IE does support with
> regard to multiple classes?

AFAIK it gets the HTML part right and also selectors with just one class per
element ("foo.bar, .bar .baz"), but "foo.bar.baz" should be avoided.

> onmouseover="this.className += ' IEhover'"

You'll get a very long 'className' after some hovers with this. Use a simple
function that only adds the string if it's not already set.
I'm not that much into DOM issues, but I think, 'className' should have been
defined to return an array, not a string. At least there should be an easy way
to treat strings as space or comma separated lists (other than '.split()').