Re: [css3-lists] Too many list styles and a proposal to simplifythem

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 03:05:38 -0500
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

> Because you don't know things like where you can break lines

UAX-14 defines this, no?  It may not be optimal, but it's serviceable.  In
fact, I'm not aware of any popular HTML/CSS UAs that do any better.

> and how to render Q elements in HTML.

Yes, you may have to assume something like en-us here.

> You may also have problems with sort orders in selections, and with GUI
> selection interfaces.

I'm not quite sure what problem you're describing... could you elaborate?

In any case, the point is that you can do a _better_ job of rendering if you're
told what the language is, but you can do a passable job (and in fact a much
better job than currently available UAs) even if you aren't.

Under the most rigorously controlled conditions of pressure,
temperature, volume, humidity, and other variables, the
organism will do as it damn well pleases.